Mrs A Rocks – Head of Department
Mrs S Corr – Spanish Teacher
As a department, we strive to provide the very best in Modern Language teaching, using the most up to date resources and techniques. We believe that learning takes place in a supportive and enjoyable environment and, as such, the individual child remains centre and foremost in all our efforts.
Pupils’ ability to communicate a written and spoken understanding of the following topics:
- Self and family/others in French and Spanish
- Classroom environment in the chosen language
- Time and daily routine
- Weather terms and all related vocabulary across Europe and the world
- School subjects and all related vocabulary
- Food, drink and all currencies used across Europe
- Shops and shopping vocabulary
- Body parts, illness and all related vocabulary
- The world of work
- Sports and hobbies
- The world of transport
- All related vocabulary, verbs and grammar at GCSE level
Both languages have the same objectives and topics being covered at KS3 level, in all 4 Learning Areas.
The department’s scheme of work for GCSE is the syllabus for the examining board at CCEA. A very detailed understanding/conversation of all Learning Areas is taught and encouraged.
Post 16 Extra Curricular
Trips abroad to France and Spain to encourage the speaking of the target
Lunch time language clubs
World Culture workshops and entertainment days