Mr R McStravick (HOD), Mrs A McStravick, Mr R Curry, Miss J Mallon, Mrs S Devlin, Miss S O Neill, Mrs Walsh (Mrs G Corcoran)
“The Study of Mathematics is like the Nile –It begins in minuteness but ends in magnificence.”
To learn Mathematics, you have to practice Mathematics.
In the Maths department we aim to:
- Develop knowledge and understanding of Number, Algebra, Shape and Data Handling.
- Develop pupil confidence in the precise use of mathematical language and notation as an effective means of communication.
- Develop increasing competence in mental mathematics skills, pencil & paper methods, practical skills in use of technology.
- Develop the ability to apply mathematical skills to other General Learning Areas.
- Develop the application of mathematical skills to real-life and work situations.
- Develop knowledge and understanding of personal finance issues.
- Provide opportunities for pupils to develop Thinking Skills & Personal Capability in the fields of Problem-Solving & Decision Making, Self-Management, Working with Others, Managing Information and Being Creative.
- Stimulate student’s interest, curiosity and enjoyment of Mathematics, acquiring a suitable foundation appropriate to the study of the subject at a higher level.
- Assist pupils in gaining necessary Mathematical qualifications for their chosen courses/careers.
- Identify and support high/low attainers in their study of Mathematics.
- Encourage all pupils to achieve at their highest potential.
- Encourage pupils to “have a go” irrespective of mathematical ability, promoting self-esteem and an appreciation and sensitivity to varying levels of ability within a class group.
- Provide opportunities for a wider enjoyment of the subject through active teaching & learning strategies and participation in class.
Key Stage 3
Years 8, 9 and 10 students follow a rich and varied programmer in Mathematics in line with the NI Curriculum. All Key Stage 3 students have 6 × 40minute periods per week. The level of attainment at the end of Key Stage 3 Mathematics will be used to determine class groupings for GCSE Mathematics in Key Stage 4.
Language of Number, Whole Numbers,Decimals, Fractions/%/Decimals, Negative Numbers, Calculator, Primes/HCF/LCM, Fractions, Percentages/Finance, dp/sf/calculator, Ratio, Estimation, Binary Numbers, Error in Measurement, Standard For
Basic Algebra, Brackets, Function Machines/Substitution, Linear Equations,Co-ordinates, (midpoint of a line), Sequences, Formulae, Quadratic Brackets, Linear Equations , (cross multiplication), Straight Line Graph, Trial & Improvement, Indices, Inequalities (numberlines), Real-life Graphs –Travel Graphs, Conversion Graphs, Common Factors, Changing the Subject (basic)
2D/3D Shapes, Line & Angle, Triangles/Constructions, Circle, Metric System, Time, Perimeter/area/volume –square, rectangle, triangle, cube, cuboid, compound shapes, Angle Properties, Quadrilaterals, Polygons, Symmetry/Tessellations, Imperial System, Perimeter/area/volume –quadrilaterals,Pythagoras, (length of a line), Turning/Bearings, Transformations (reflection, rotation, enlargement, translation), Compound Measures (SDT)
Collection of Data, Data Display –tally charts, frequency tables, bar charts, line graphs, pie charts, scatter graphs, frequency polygons, stem and leaf, Analysing Data –mean, mode, median, range, Probability
Key Stage 4
Years 11 and 12 follow the GCSE Ccea GCSE specification. First teaching from September 2017.
CCEA Candidates must use calculators in assessment units M1, M2, M3 and M4 (Calculator) and in Paper 2 of each Completion Test (M5, M6, M7 and M8). Candidates must not use calculators in Paper 1 of each Completion Test.
AVAILABLE FINAL GCSE GRADES COMMENT
M1 and M5 D–G All grades in this range are available.
M2 and M6 C*–F All grades in this range are available.
M3 and M7 B–E All grades in this range are available.
M4 and M8 A*–C All grades in this range are available
KS4 useful links to help students for revision:
Key Stage 5
Yr 13 follow the Ccea AS specification.
Schedule is based upon shared teaching.
Miss Mallon –Unit 1 60%
Mr Curry –Unit 2 40%
Yr 14 A2 level
Miss Mallon Unit 1
Mr Curry Unit 2